What is “State of the Art”?
We call ourselves SOTA for short.
What medium of work does SOTA take?
Our Subscription Service clients do have a say in what they want displayed on their walls, which is mainly items that can at least hang on a wall. We do accept paintings, prints, illustration, photography, wall sculptures and other 2D materials. For our pop-up shows, we accept most anything you’d like to show including video art, sculpture & art installations.
Is there an application process?
SOTA is a curated art show where the artists are hand selected to ensure a cohesive exhibit. To apply, please see our Artist Application page. There is a $40 non-refundable application fee. There are never additional booth rental fees.
Can I sell my art through SOTA?
Yes! A goal of SOTA is to put your artwork in front of potential patrons. Through our Subscription Service, we give our clients all of your information and they have the choice to have a 1-page price list or have all names/titles/prices labeled with each piece. We handle all sales for you! So we do ask for a small 25% commission, which we suggest tacking onto your artwork’s retail price.
For the SOTA pop-up galleries, we do ask that all booths be stationed by the artist themselves. Artists can accept credit cards, cash or check. We strongly encourage you to create a Square account to process your own credit cards. If you have questions, please ask! SOTA staff will process credit cards; there is a 48-hour processing time and SOTA will take 10% of the total for every transaction processed.
Are there any artist requirements?
SOTA requires that artists participating in the exhibit provide a comprehensive and professional display of work. Your work is being viewed and displayed to be potentially purchased. We require that your work brought to the exhibit be “hang-ready” so that potential buyers can purchase your work and leave with it all in the same evening if that is the case.
We ask artists to sign a Release Form and acknowledge that they have read the application packet and are willing to abide by the outlined requirements by signing below.
Artists will deliver artwork at the designated time and location prior to the show or subscription and abide by additional timelines set in place as they arise.
Artists agree to provide SOTA with all details regarding their work including artist biography, pricing range, descriptions, contact information and any other details that are important to their works of art.
Artists will respect the venue’s space and constraints, and will not do anything to damage or deface the venue’s property.
How will my work be displayed?
For the Art Subscription services, SOTA handles hanging and arranging all works of art. Artists are required to apply the appropriate apertures (preferably secured wire) for works to be hung safely.
For the pop up shows- if elected to participate each artist will be assigned their own booth. Please contact State of the Art for exact dimensions.
Filling out the Artist Application
- The fee to apply is a non-refundable $40. This helps to cover our costs and administrative fees. Please note that if you are chosen to participate in a show or Art Subscription Service, you will not be charged any additional fees.
- After you have submitted your information, you will need to pay your application fee through PayPal.
- We ask that you provide as much information as possible about yourself and your art so we can get a feel for the work you do. Please use the comments box to describe your work to us.
- We will notify you in a timely manner if we have any additional questions and if you were chosen for one of the listed SOTA show dates or our ongoing Art Subscription Service.
- If you are chosen as an artist to participate, you will be asked to sign an Artist Agreement and Release Form upon confirmation.
- For the pop up shows artists are responsible for the set-up of their booths. Artists must be present during the whole show and work their own booths. Questions about this, please ask.
- For additional details regarding the event or Subscription Service or pop up shows email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you have any additional questions or concerns about this process or being an artist in State of the Art, please contact us! Wanna get updates from us on upcoming shows? Sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.